How to Apply
There are two categories of students at the University of Nairobi:
- Government Sponsored Students
- Self Sponsored Students
Application process for Government Sponsored Students
The Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS) is the state corporation that coordinates the placement of Government-Sponsored Students to Kenyan universities and colleges. KUCCPS undertakes the selection of undergraduate students for admission to higher learning institutions for Government sponsorship.
KUCCPS placement criteria
a) Only candidates who apply for placement will be considered for placement in the respective programmes applied
b) Candidates must meet the minimum admission requirement approved by the respective regulating authority to be considered for placement
c) Placement shall be on merit
d) An affirmative action criteria approved by the Placement Service shall be applied for the marginalized and disadvantaged applicants.
e) Applicants who will not manage to be placed in the preferred programmes may be requested to re-apply for placement consideration into programmes which may not satisfied the number required.
Click here for the KUCCPS application procedure
Application process for Self Sponsored Students (undergraduate and postgraduate students)
Applications for admission to study at the University as self sponsored students are online.
The online application system has a list of all the courses on offer at the University, open Intakes, application deadlines, reporting dates and program requirements.
All first time applicants are encouraged to explore the list of available academic programmes and the set requirements to ensure that they qualify to apply for their programme of choice.
Application procedure (undergraduate and postgraduate)
Follow these step by step guidelines to apply for a course: Application Manual
General application information:
- Prospective students are required to complete their application. The University of Nairobi does not make use of representatives, agents or agencies during the application process.
- All applicants are required to provide all the required information: current email address, an active phone number and Postal Address and certified scanned copies of Certificates, transcripts and a current passport photo.
- The application deadlines are indicated on the online application system, the closing dates cannot be extended.
- Payment of application Fees: Applicants will pay a non-refundable application fee of Kshs.3,000 (undergradaute and masters level) and Kshs. 4,000 for PhD level. International pay USD 50. Upon payment, you will receive a confirmation of the payment on your email address and phone number.
- Applicants can track the status of the application online through the system. Alerts will be sent to via email address and phone number.
Modes of payment
- Electronic transfer/direct cash deposit at any ABSA bank branch countrywide
- Application Fee Payment Via M-Pesa
Pay the required amount through your mobile phone by M-pesa following the instructions below:
1. Go to M-PESA on your phone.
2. Select Lipa na M-PESA option
3. Select Pay Bill option.
4. Enter Business no.
5. Enter your Reference number as sent to your mobilephone
6. Enter the Amount you intend to pay.
7. Enter your M-PESA PIN and Send
N/B. Only make the payment if you have been allocated an application reference number sent to your phone or email
Kenyan students in higher education institutions are eligible for education loans by the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB).
HELB enhances equity in higher education by awarding loans and bursaries to needy Kenyan students. HELB awards loans to students in institutions of higher learning to fund their education i.e. those students’ joining University as Government or Self Sponsored. The loan attracts interest of 4% p.a and the students are required to repay their loans on completion of their studies. Applying for a HELB loan can allow you to afford your studies while enjoying low interest.
These loans are not automatic and have to be applied for through the student portal.
Click here to view HELB products
For any assistance and clarification please contact any of the following:
Every campus has student finance office. Clieck here to for the student finance directory